Sunday 8 January 2012

CRAFTY DAY 24 - DINO PLANTER



I saw this idea on Pintrest and immediatly fell in love with it.  Wanted to make it for my sons room, so set about trying to find giant dinos.  OMG do you know how expensive these things are, so I decided I would have to wait for one to come to me.  Amazingly it was a very short wait, two days later on a trip to the tip I found this fellow in the tip shop. Believe me I snatched him up really quick. Cost = FREE. I love the tip shop.  As usual I had all other materials on hand so another free craft day.  Anyway onto the craftiness of Dino Planters  NOTE - Don't paint this is 40 degree heat, it has taken four days to do this as the paint wouldn't dry quickly because of the heat.

MATERIALS

Large childs vinyl toy
Scissors or stanley knife
Gloss Spray Paint
Small succulent plant
Marker

With the marker, draw a circle on the back of your vinyl toy.  Using this mark as your guide cut this section out.  Much easier with the stanley knife.  Did you know these things have stuffing, mine certainly did, and it was all wet and smelly - YUCK - pull all this out, and toss.  Wash your toy well and allow to dry.  If there is an air hole in the underside of  your toy plug it with a little dab of hot glue. I sprayed my toy with a light colour first (yellow) and then a few coats of the blue.  This allowed me to get better coverage with less coats.  Allow paint to dry.  Fill your dino with soil and add your plant.  Using a succulent means less watering and is easy for young children to look after.  And you are done.

No comments:

Post a Comment