Tuesday 13 December 2011

CRAFTY DAY 15 - BOYS BEDSIDE LAMP REVAMP



So I saw these lamps, and I knew I just had to give it a go for my young mans room.  I picked up the lamp at the local opshop for $5-, all the little toys came from the toys box.  Dad was informed that Mum was stealing all the toys.  Dad explained why I needed them which allowed me to get to it.  Make sure you use plastic toys, do not use soft toys. So onto the fun

MATERIALS

Lamp Base
Assorted toys
Base spray paint
Spray gloss paint
Masking tape
Plastic bag
Hot glue
Lamp shade





















Give lamp a wipe down and wash and dry toys if required.  I started with my big toys first, glueing as you go. Arranging and glue the other toys til you are pleased with the look.  Cover the top section where the connections for the bulb are with masking tape, place power cord in plastic bag and tape close to base of lamp.  Spray the entire lamp with the base paint spray - I didn't do this and it took heaps of coats of colour to cover the darker sections of toys, this wouldn't be an issue if using a darker colout, but with lighter colours it may pay to undercoat first - Allow to dry and then spray with the main colour. Do several light coats to make sure paint doesn't run or drip also use short bursts of the nozzle directed at the hard to get at places, all the nooks and crannies that you will have.  Allow to dry well before coats.  This lamp has about 8 seperate light coats, and in some places ( the darker areas) more.  The lamp shade I had was the wrong colour (coffee cream) so I also sprayed this lightly as well with a couple of coats.  Put it all together and you have an amazing piece of lighting for your young one

No comments:

Post a Comment